After a car accident, you need help and support. You may be injured, and unable to work, and your vehicle could be totaled. The compensation you receive in a settlement must cover the full extent of your losses & our car accident attorneys in San Jose can help achieve that end.
What to do after a car accident
If you were injured in a car accident, what you do next has everything to do with the amount you are given in a settlement. We advise you to take these steps:
- Get medical treatment. Even if you don’t think you are seriously hurt, you must get a full medical assessment. Closed head injuries can be fatal but do not involve any pain, so they must be identified very soon after an accident. When you are in an accident, your body releases adrenaline. This hormone suppresses pain and energizes the body. When it wears off, you could find yourself in serious pain. Ensure you see a doctor and explain what happened to you.
- Call 911: The police will investigate the accident and create a report. This report can be an important piece of evidence to support your insurance claim. Be respectful and answer their questions with basic facts without admitting fault.
- Take photos: Use your phone to take pictures of your injuries, the vehicles, and skid marks on the roadway.
- Gather any information you can: If you are able, get the contact names and numbers of the at-fault driver and any witnesses to the collision.
- Follow doctor’s advice: Arrive for any scheduled medical appointments, and ensure you follow all advice from your doctor.
- Put it in writing: Write down everything you can remember about what happened. Keep a written record of your injuries, pain, and treatments.
- Call a car accident lawyer: The last thing you need is trouble getting compensation. With the help of our attorneys at The Swanson Law Group, you can focus on your recovery while we fight for the compensation you deserve.