In a collision between a 4,000 lb. passenger vehicle and an 80,000 lb. semi-truck, the passenger vehicle occupants are likely to suffer serious injuries or death due to the sheer size and weight of the truck.
How improper maintenance leads to San Jose truck accidents
Big rigs carry heavy loads that put a strain on the truck’s equipment. For this reason, trucking companies are required to keep logs of maintenance and inspections to ensure their vehicles are operating properly. When large commercial trucks are improperly maintained, it can lead to equipment failure with profound consequences for others on the roadway, including:
- Brake failure, leading to rear-end and other collisions
- Steering malfunction and loss of control
- Tire shredding and blowouts
- Separation of the trailer from tractor, causing the tractor to collide with another vehicle
- Broken tail lights or missing reflective tape, leading to truck underride accidents