Being involved in a car accident can be a terrifying experience, but the situation can become even more dangerous when it involves a semi-truck. Due to their size and weight, trucks can cause severe damage to smaller vehicles, and the injuries sustained by passengers can be life-changing.
What To Do
Knowing what steps to take to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights is essential in this situation.
- Check for Injuries: The first thing to do after any accident is to check for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call an ambulance immediately. Even if you feel fine, getting checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible is crucial.
- Call the Police: Regardless of the accident's severity, it is crucial to call the police. They will document the scene and file a report necessary for insurance purposes and any legal action you may take.
- Exchange Information: Be sure to exchange information with the truck driver, including their name, contact information, license plate number, and insurance information. If there were any witnesses, get their contact information as well.
- Take Photos: Use your phone or camera to take photos of the scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks, and other relevant details. This can be helpful when filing a claim with your insurance company.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company immediately, even if the accident was not your fault. They will guide you through the claims process and help you understand your coverage.
- Consult an Attorney: If you were injured in the accident, consulting a truck accident lawyer may be in your best interest. They can help you understand your legal options and work to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Truck Collisions in San Jose
California's statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim is two years from the accident date. If you fail to file your lawsuit within this time frame, you may lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
It is important to note that there are exceptions to this two-year statute of limitations. For example, if the accident involved a government entity, you may be required to file a claim within six months of the accident. Additionally, if the accident resulted in the death of a loved one, the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim may be different.
If you need clarification on the statute of limitations for your specific case, consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney in California is essential. They can help you understand your legal rights and ensure you file your claim within the appropriate time frame.
The Swanson Law Group Is Here For You
At The Swanson Law Group, we understand that being involved in a truck accident can be a traumatic experience. However, following the necessary steps can protect yourself and your legal rights. It is crucial to prioritize your safety and seek medical attention immediately.
Our experienced truck accident attorneys in San Jose are dedicated to representing those injured in commercial truck accidents. We aim to achieve justice for our clients and help them rebuild their lives by getting their health back and recovering maximum compensation for their injuries.
While many cases are settled, we never compromise on our client's behalf. Our clients deserve fair compensation, and we are always prepared to fight for it. We communicate with insurance companies on our client's behalf and provide up-front money to help them through the tough times while waiting for the case to resolve.
To see how we have successfully represented our clients, look at some of our case results and insurance letters. At The Swanson Law Group, we are committed to fighting for our client's rights and helping them recover from their injuries.